News Brought to You by Outstanding Students From Nauset Regional High School

Nauset Horizons

Tracy Destefano’s Departure from Nauset Regional High School

Students at Nauset Regional High School express great sadness over beloved ASL teacher, Tracy DeStefano’s announcement that she will retire this June.

Sierra Aguiar

American Sign Language is a course designed to develop expressive and receptive skills necessary for communication between the deaf and hearing communities.

American Sign Language has become a four-year course in high school  where students can learn and appreciate the differences between deaf and hearing culture. Tracy DeStefano, a motivating and inspiring high school teacher, developed Nauset’s ASL course 5 years ago.

Sadly, 2017 is DeStefano’s last year here at Nauset Regional High School. She has dedicated much of her time to teaching young students ASL, and has loved every minute of it.

“My honors kids are better than you could ever imagine. I am so proud of how far they have come since our first class four years ago. I love them very much,” exclaims Mrs.Destefano.

Graduating honors student Marisa Sousa says, “I am grateful that I had the opportunity to take sign language as a class. I think it benefits me personally and educationally. I could not have asked for a better teacher than Mrs.D.”

ASL class is set up so that the same group of students move throughout the class together during all four years of their high school experience. The students get to know each other more every year and by their senior year, and the class is one big family.

ASL student Ivy Tubman notes, “I love how our classroom never changes because I feel comfortable in this class and everyone has learned to work together really well. I am going to miss my ASL family when we go our separate ways next year.”

A Nauset alumni, Mrs.Madden , has returned to the school to teach her very own sign language class. Mrs.DeStefano taught Madden everything from basic signing skills to in-depth signing techniques, and she is now following in her footsteps to spread deaf culture to more students.

DeStefano’s departure is bittersweet. She has led this year’s graduating class through their time at Nauset, and now she gets to “graduate” alongside them. She plans to spend her free time traveling to places she has never been before. Though the school is losing an amazing teacher, she has made a huge impact here, and the sign language class will carry on.