Nauset Horizons

A young man, struggling to keep up with his family’s constant moving, finds solace in video games and personal fitness

Collea and his friend, Patrick, post chest-day

Trevor Branch, Author

Nick Collea, a video game connoisseur and weight-room junkie, has experienced the benefits of video gaming balanced with a healthy lifestyle.

Collea, only 18, has already had to move five times between four different states. Born in North Carolina, Collea’s moved to Texas when he was only three after his father (an American Airlines pilot) was relocated because of the events of 9/11.

When he was eight, Collea lost his grandmother to cancer and had no choice but to move to New York to live in her house until it was sold. Here, he met his best friend Atticus, with whom he connected through video games.   With family business resolved in New York, Collea moved back to Texas for a short time, only to move to the Cape so that they could be closer to his aunt struggling with down syndrome.

Struggling to adapt to the constantly changing environment, Collea found refuge in the consistency of video games. Providing a source of reliable entertainment and a means of connecting with distant friends, video games have become part of the foundation of Collea’s life. In the future, he even hopes to play professionally as either a streamer (a person who broadcasts his or her gameplay through Twitch and YouTube) or enter the LCS (League of Legends Championship Series).

Despite the many claims by parents and teachers everywhere that video games are nothing but detrimental to a teen’s mental health, it is clear that videogames have been a necessary personal escape for Collea. Joshua Jeronimo, Collea’s close friend and fellow gamer, described Collea’s competitive spirit with the famous gaming quote, “But it’s not meta though.”

Collea, although heavily invested in video games, has not forgotten his own personal health. Zyzz, famous scrawny kid turned body builder, was also once a heavy gamer, and has inspired Collea to improve his diet and begin working out. Dropping soda and other sweets and working out consistently every day after school, Collea has lost an impressive amount of weight and has begun to feel the effects of a healthier lifestyle.  With the guidance of his friend, Patrick, and the inspiration from fit streamers such as loltyler1, Collea hopes to continue his fitness plan until he achieves his goals.

Hoping to leave the boring routine of the Cape, Collea hopes to move to Washington to live with his friends and attend community college there as soon as he graduates high school. Many of Collea’s closest friends, including aforementioned Atticus and Patrick, currently live in Washington and Collea has found little incentive to remain on the Cape any longer than he has to. Although he isn’t completely sure of what career path he wishes to pursue, he will likely study the computer sciences (which will give him access to the video gaming industry).

Although Collea isn’t entirely sure about what he wants to do with his life, it’s clear that video games will continue to be a heavy influence. Whatever he chooses, his determination will assure he gets there. In the famous words of Zyzz, “We’re all gonna make it brah.”