News Brought to You by Outstanding Students From Nauset Regional High School

Nauset Horizons

Kaepernick Takes a Knee

Is Kaepernick Being Black Balled?

SANTA CLARA, CA - OCTOBER 02:   Colin Kaepernick #7 of the San Francisco 49ers kneels on the sideline during the anthem prior to the game against the Dallas Cowboys at Levi's Stadium on October 2, 2016 in Santa Clara, California. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)

SANTA CLARA, CA - OCTOBER 02: Colin Kaepernick #7 of the San Francisco 49ers kneels on the sideline during the anthem prior to the game against the Dallas Cowboys at Levi's Stadium on October 2, 2016 in Santa Clara, California. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Akeem Atkinson, Author

Free agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick takes a knee during the National Anthem.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color; to me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder,” stated Kaepernick.

Unfortunately, Kaepernick hasn’t been signed by any NFL team, not even the CFL. There are multiple reasons why NFL teams aren’t signing Kaepernick. Colin is being blackballed for his protest. NFL teams fear Colin will knee, and they don’t think he can play anymore. Teams believe his priority is not football anymore; they view him as an activist.   

Even Kaepernick’s biological mother doesn’t agree with his protest. She stated on Twitter “ There’s ways to make change without disrespecting and bringing shame to the very country and family who afforded you so many blessings.” 

Kaepernick isn’t the only player kneeling on the sideline. Other NFL, college and even high school players held a knee. Even so, due to Kaepernick’s choice to kneel,  no teams want him. Kaepernick is currently unemployed, and is still hoping to get signed.  

Meanwhile, Kaepernick has started his own foundation “to fight oppression of all kinds globally, through education and social activism.” Colin and others have already donated over 500,000 dollars.

Colin also started a camp called Know Your Right, which is a free campaign for youth to raise awareness on higher education, self-empowerment, and instruction to properly interact with law enforcement in various scenarios.

Recently, Kaepernick ended his National Anthem protest.

Although, Kaepernick has been controversial, he is true to his own beliefs and continues to rise.