News Brought to You by Outstanding Students From Nauset Regional High School

Nauset Horizons

Narco-Soccer in Colombia Changes the Game

Legendary Colombian soccer star Andrés Escobar, featured in Jeff and Michael Zimbalist's documentary THE TWO ESCOBARS, opening on SFFS Screen at Sundance Kabuki Cinemas August 27.

Ozzy Perez, Writer

Narco-soccer has kept many soccer teams in Colombia wealthy and winning. During the  the late 80’s and throughout the 1990’s, Colombian drug cartels laundered money from drug deals through the country’s soccer teams. In return, these teams were rewarded with expensive players from other countries which led to the teams winning championships.

Pablo Escobar gave piles of money to his city of Medellin’s soccer team, Atletico Nacional, so they could bring in good players and win titles. Escobar’s fortune, earned through crime, was reported to be 50 billion dollars. Although, he helped boost the country’s soccer status and pride, he was also a murderer and kidnapper.

But he was passionate about soccer. Atlético Nacional won the copa de libertadores for the first time which is a major South American trophy. The people in Colombia were happy that all the recognition was coming back to Colombia, and everyone had great pride in nationalism.

On the other hand, Colombia was known for its corrupt Narco-soccer around the world which made many Colombians unhappy. “Colombia is a country of Narcos” said a citizen from Colombia.

“We need to get rid of the Narcos and push for extradition” exclaimed Luis Carlos Galán.

After the famous Colombian center back, Andre Escobar, scored an own goal in the World Cup, eliminating Colombia from the tournament, he was murdered. The country broke out in panic and grief. When word got out that the Narcos killed Andres Escobar people started going against the Narcos and pushed for extradition in the latest election.

Narco-soccer supposedly ended, but people have their doubts. It may seem that some small Narcos might still launder their money through clubs, but most of the Colombian teams are on the verge of bankruptcy.