News Brought to You by Outstanding Students From Nauset Regional High School

Nauset Horizons

Gatorade’s Special Ingredient

Is Gatorade the Healthiest Sports Drink?

Unknown, Author

Gatorade is marketed as the best drink for athletes when working out, playing sports, or trying to gain energy. Sports drinks help replace what is lost during longer duration exercise, especially in the heat, by providing our bodies with electrolytes. The carbohydrate in Gatorade can help to replace glycogen that is lost while doing vigorous physical activities.

However, don’t be fooled by “the world’s #1 sports drink!”

Gatorade is almost as bad as soda.

Akeem Atkinson acknowledged, “Gatorade is bad, but good at the same time. The flavor and the energy for the time is good, but in the long run, it’s not worth more than water.”

A single serving of Gatorade contains 14 grams of sugar. At the same time it isn’t the simple table sugars, but a mix of heavily refined sucrose syrups, thick liquefied empty calories, and glucose-fructose. Gatorade also contains more than twice as much sodium than potassium, which does not benefit the electrolyte consumption.

According to the National Athletic Training Association, carbohydrates should not form more than 8% of the content of a sports drink.  When the body experiences short periods of exhaustion and fatigue, the last thing it needs is more sodium.

Nauset assistant track coach, Moira Nobili admits, “ you know Gatorade is not my go-to drink, because it gives you energy for the time, but soon after, you’ll be in a slump: it’s like a sugar rush.”

Like other sugary drinks, Gatorade uses bromine vegetable oil (BVO),  to increase fluidity and uniformity. BVO is great for dissolving additives for gasoline, photographic paper  films, fire-extinguishing materials, and agricultural fumigants.

Another ingredient in Gatorade is fructose corn syrup, and is approved by the FDA, but the Mayo Clinic cautions that when taken regularly it is likely to cause obesity which contributes to type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and coronary artery diseases.

Diseases that may occur if you drink Gatorade on a daily basis include conditions of the heart, joints, bone, brain, blood, liver, and connective tissue.  Drinking Gatorade without working out and consuming a high sodium or sugary diet may cause high blood or pressure.

Gatorade provides advantages over water if you need to replenish sodium, or if you are working out for a significant period of time, such as for an hour; other than that, water is better and more efficient for your body.