News Brought to You by Outstanding Students From Nauset Regional High School

Nauset Horizons

Social Media’s Effect on Teenagers  

Pictured above: A teenager has a horrified look on her face as two girls are seen snickering behind her back.

Sara Trauterman, Author

Social media is a destructive range of apps that ruin self-confidence and increase cyber bullying for teenagers web-wide. Overall, social media allows for a virtual reality which is damaging confidence of people all over the world, ruining trust and honesty between others. But, social media also holds standards for teenagers to live up to. Apps such as Facebook and Instagram are a gateway to cyberbullying and identity theft while also exaggerating the importance of class and status of a person.

Social media increases cyberbullying among teenagers. Cyberbullying is about lack of self-confidence and jealousy of others, and it can lead to serious mental illnesses. In the movie “Cyberbully,” directed by Charles Biname, the main character Taylor Hillridge experiences this first hand as she is ostracized by her classmates and even her friends. The negative comments and judgments drove her to a suicide attempt after damaging her confidence.

Social media also makes class and status of a teenager more important than it actually is. Apps such as Instagram and Facebook are used not to share lives with others but to see how many likes the user can get on a picture because that’s what matters most these days. Lower likes on a picture now suggest unpopularity and being an outcast, while more likes suggest popularity and being cool. Social media such as Instagram allow for such judgments to be made which is one reason why mental illness has increased by over 70 percent, according to Independent Corporation located in the United Kingdom.

Although social media is harmful to teenagers, it’s also a place to meet real new people and maybe even take off as an artist of some sort. Colleges and universities use apps such as Facebook and Twitter to allow incoming freshmen to meet roommates or the rest of their class. Twitter lets new and self-made artists share their beats or creations with others and see if they can spark someone’s interest. Social media allows for people to express themselves, but oftentimes people abuse their right to do so.

If we want to change this modern set of standards that teens must live up to,then we should cut back on the amount of social media we use. These days fourth and fifth graders already have iPhones and boyfriends, whereas when I was in fifth grade I was spending my time biking outside and enjoying nature and life. We should limit the use of social media and teens and be kind to one another and support one another.

Social media leads to mental illness and lack of self-confidence through the idea of a perfect human, where jealous teenagers cyberbully others to achieve this perfect image. All of these topics lead back to one thing: society’s standards. Yes, society does have standards, and being a teenager in the 21st  century these standards are something we’ve grown up with. These standards are the product of social media sites as they create expectations for maturing teens to abide by. Social media has strongly affected people negatively because of these expectations. Although social media can be quite helpful for upcoming companies and home businesses, it also holds many risks for the underdeveloped minds of teenagers.