Nauset Horizons

Warrior Works At Nauset

M. Gabi Tessier, Editor/Writer

Nauset Regional High School is collaborating  with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to jump start a STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) initiative program called Nauset Warrior Works.

Over the summer, a team of Nauset High School students participated in an Autonomous RACECAR (Rapid Autonomous Complex- Environment Competing Ackermann-steering Robot) Grand Prix held at MIT.  Anthony Grandel, Matt Daniels-Diehl, Ben Ellis, Sam Rockitt, Tyler Harwood, William Brister, and I worked together to program an autonomous vehicle to compete against other teams from across the United States and Mexico.

Throughout the summer, the team covered topics in calculus, Python programming language, and learned to problem solve issues. With help from our head coordinators Harry Terkanian and Ed Rohmer, along with the teaching assistants from MIT (Gabe Madonna, Mat Tung, Albert Go), team members competed at the MIT Beaver Works Grand Prix.  

Nauset junior, Anthony Grandel, described his experience with the RACECAR course as “it was something that was really challenging  to do, and I felt I was doing something that ten million people before me hadn’t already done.”

One of head coordinators, Ed Rohmer explained that “Superintendent Tom Conrad came to him to create a kindergarten through twelfth grade intensive STEM, robotics curriculum.  This was the start of the new STEM program at Nauset.”  Mr. Rohmer is working with Harry Terkanian, a MIT alumnus, who is passionate about implementing a program like Warrior Works.

Mr. Rohmer hopes to see this program become an environment of “collaboration, problem solving, and working together.” He wishes to see that this program will “offer a chance for kids to come together” in a new project-based STEM environment.

Junior Anthony Grandel recommends the program with enthusiasm:“I would say to the students who are interested, to just go for it. It will be a lot of fun.”

If you are interested, please contact [email protected].