Nauset Horizons

Divide and Conquer

Girls Cross Country Claims Best Season to Date

Emma Lang, Editor/Writer

The undefeated Nauset Girls Cross Country team has taken the competition by storm for yet another year, winning all seven meets, four being ACL.

On October 28, the Girls and Boys Cross Country team traveled to Marshfield High School to compete in the ACL Championship Meet. Madaket Nobili won first place, setting a new course record and clocking a career best time of 17:56, followed by Tara Ellard who crossed the line next, grabbing second place and setting up Nauset for the big ACL win.

The team took first place in the most prestigious XC Invitational in New England, the Twilight Invitational, on October 31st at the Barnstable County Fairgrounds in Falmouth. This was the first time the Nauset Girls Cross Country team placed first overall in the Division 2 Varsity Race, beating all the other Division 2’s from around the state of Massachusetts by two minutes.

Madaket Nobili clocked the second fastest 5k run in the region at 18:00, losing to Sarah Ruffman of Littleton High School by :3 seconds. Nobili would face her again at the Division 2 All State Meet on November 18. Tara Ellard placed eighth overall with a high school career best of 18:44. Freshman, Rachel Pranga was next for Nauset to cross the line with a time of 19:06. Izzy Nobili placed twenty-fourth in 19:36, followed by Ella Kelly who placed forty-third in 20:09. The five top teams were Nauset, Lenox Memorial, Ursuline, Parker Charter, and Tyngsborough.

Coach Katie McCully was thrilled with the runners’ progress throughout the season. Before the Eastern MA Divisional Championship November 11 in Wrentham, McCully said “We are hoping to place very high… Actually, our goal is to win it.” They settled for second place, coming close behind the first place team winner, Westwood High School, a team they would get to face off again at All-States. Senior Madaket Nobili won the Individual title of the day, while senior teammate, Tara Ellard collected third.

The Girls Cross Country didn’t disappoint postseason as they prepared for the final showdown at the MIAA All-State Championship on November 18. The polls anticipated Nauset as being one of the top teams along with Westwood, Lenos, Littleton, and Mt. Greylock. Madaket Nobili went against Sarah Hoffman of Littleton for the second time inthe Girls Cross Country season, and placed second behind the Invitational winner in a tough but extraordinary race with muddy conditions, bettering her previous mark on the Wrentham Courier by :4 seconds. The state title went to Mt. Greylock of Western Massachusetts, but Nauset won second place overall ahead of Lenox and Westwood. The final win against Westwood was the final statement for the Nauset Girls Cross Country Team.

Coach McCully described Madaket Nobili, Tara Ellard, Rachel Pranga, Izzy Nobili, and  Ella Kelly as “an unbeatable combination of two seniors and three freshmen, who combined all season to score in the meets.” McCully is excited to see how current freshman, Rachel Pranga, Izzy Nobili, and Ella Kelly will improve over their years at Nauset Regional High School.

Indeed, Nauset Regional High School’s Girls Cross Country had an unforgettable season with seventeen out of eighteen runners beating their personal best times and finishing as the fastest team overall in Eastern Massachusetts.