Nauset Horizons

The Field of Dreams

JP Dysart, Reporter

Nauset baseball, a storied program over the past 10 years securing the fifth ranked team in the state going into the 2018 season. This team has high hopes and dreams of a state title. With nine seniors the on the team, the Warriors are a powerhouse of winning potential.

Senior JP LaBarge committed to St. Michael’s College to play baseball, When I asked about this years team, he said “ I’m excited; we are loaded with talent and the energy from all my teammates is great. We all have this brother like relationship. In my eyes have a definite shot at the state title”. A new head coach this season Geoffrey Phillips, former assistant coach of the Chatham Anglers Collegiate summer baseball team,  has high hopes for him and his boys as they get ready for their home opener on Wednesday April 18th.

After a missing his junior year, JP Dysart returns this season hoping to achieve the high goals everyone expected of him his  junior last year. JP Dysart who will play at Merrimack College next season, adds “With the talent this team has I would be shocked if we were unable to contest for a state title; Its special when you have six potential college baseball prospects playing on the same team, a rare occasion but we are very excited as a team. Personally am hoping to have my best season of my highschool career” said JP Dysart.

The pitching staff is a special one, with six out of the seven pitchers throwing over eighty mph, this is unusual to hear for that many high school pitchers on one team. Captain and Warriors catcher Harrison Field agrees, saying “I have been catching for this team for all four years and this is the most talent I have seen in a pitching staff that I have played with. All of our guys have good fastball and very good off speed pitches, I sure as heck don’t want to hit versus any of our guys.” The Warriors have their home opener on wednesday versus St. Mary’s, a tough opponent but the boys look to catch a win.